If we’re being honest with ourselves, some of us really struggle with buying endless items for our children throughout the year. We are overwhelmed with mom guilt when we’re out shopping for ourselves, so we make sure we pick up something for the babies before we leave the store. Let’s not overlook us moms who frequent Target’s $1-$5 section either (you know who you are, and I stand in struggle with you)! No matter how frugal or expensive your taste is, it’s natural to shop for your children.
Well mamas, holiday season is finally upon us and it’s time to plunge into holiday shopping! We’re sure there are several popular and mainstream brands you’ll be supporting, but here are some Black-owned businesses where you can spend your coins this season as well.
- Puzzle Huddle: Wow! Talk about representation! This brand offers a wide variety of jigsaw puzzles that showcase images of beautiful brown faces that look like your children. A puzzle from this company makes for the perfect quiet time project for your loved one, or a nice fun family project. There’s a wide range of puzzle sizes, allowing you to go as small as 15 pieces for your toddler, and 100 pieces for children 6 and over.
- BGS Kids: Not the typical gift you’d buy for your little one huh? Think of it this way. Don’t wait until your children hit puberty to start teaching them about self-care and taking care of their skin. Gift your children with a self-care routine this season and include BGS Kids. Sunscreen is NOT just for bright, sunny weather. It is for all seasons, and BGS Kids was created with our children in mind! There are no parabens, silicones, aluminums, fragrance oxybenzone, or octinoxate.
- Brown Toy Box: Technology rules the world, and unfortunately it rules our children too. *Insert uneasy emoji face here* You’re not alone! Sometimes the peace we need as parents requires a little tablet time for the kids. However, we have other options that allow for technology to rule our children, but in a positive way! Brown Toy Box’s mission is to provide “culturally affirming toys, books, and activities that make STE[A]M accessible, representative, and fun for Black children.” It’s a one stop shop! Books, toys, and activities, you can’t go wrong.
- The Fresh Dolls: If your child is still into dolls, (because our babies are really growing up on us ☹) The Fresh Dolls is an amazing place to shop Black dolls for your daughter. Dr. Lisa created these dolls after being heavily impacted from seeing how African American children perceived themselves through dolls. Her mission is to “ensure that all children can see their beauty, brilliance, and friends reflected during playtime.”
- Play Pits: Now you know we wouldn’t forget to include ourselves! Play Pits will always double as a gift for both the mom and child. Your child will grow a new sense of confidence and comfort, and you’ll finally be free of their funky pits! It’s time for you to purchase Play Pits and stop playing with your child’s funky pits. Your child and nose will thank you immediately.
These are just few, but there are several Black-owned businesses that you can support all year round. Remember your children matter, and representation is important! Supporting, and explaining the importance of supporting Black businesses to your children further enforces #BlackGirlMagic and #BlackBoyJoy!
@queen.tiana on IG
Tiana Gurley is a wife and a stay-at-home, homeschooling mother to two beautiful girls. In addition to those two major roles, she provides editing and proofreading services through her business Queen Scribe Editing & Consulting, and enjoys sharing through her blog Queendom Wife and Mother. You can read more from her by visiting her blog at https://