The Detoxifying Benefits of Activated Charcoal
You’ll now find activated charcoal as a main ingredient in toothpaste, face wash, soaps, for the hair and even in smoothies!
Activated charcoal has the power to - if not eliminate - then reduce body odor, cleanse the pores, detoxify the body and brighten teeth. It’s a fabulous natural alternative that can be used to cleanse the body from the inside out and the outside in! But what is activated charcoal exactly and is it a safe alternative for both children and adults alike? Let’s find out how we can use and even drink activated charcoal, and what its side effects are too!
What is Activated Charcoal?
Wondering what activated charcoal actually is and what makes it “activated?” Well, activated charcoal is made from carbon-rich material, like wood or coconut shells, burned at extremely high temperatures until it's naturally carbonized to a powder form. It can then be charred with a material like chloride salts, and then washed with a solution depending on the desired final results. But what does this have to do with our skin, hair and body? Let’s find out!
What are the benefits of Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal is becoming a popular natural remedy for many internal and external issues such as bloating, acne, body odor and buildup in the hair or teeth. But how can we benefit from activated charcoal exactly?
- Digestive Cleansing- when ingesting activated charcoal in a liquid form, it can help eliminate toxins from the stomach, intestines and gut. Many people drink activated charcoal when they want to go all in for a deep digestive detox.
- Reduces Inflammation- Activated charcoal can reduce inflammation in the body and cleanse the body, but it can also be used to reduce external inflammation too! It can be used to treat insect bites when applied topically to the skin without any negative side effects (always test for an unknown allergy first). You can mix activated charcoal with coconut oil to easily spread and heal the inflamed area.
- Anti-Aging- because activated charcoal is used to detoxify the body of any ingested toxins, many believe it also has an anti-aging effect for the very same reason. Toxins and free radicals that enter our body through our pores or through the food we eat will affect our skin and hair. By removing these toxins our bodies are less strained, it helps preserve the health of our critical organs, therefore protecting the body from external stressors.
- Deep Cleanse the Skin, Hair and Teeth- Activated charcoal is often used in soaps, shampoos and face washes because it will deep clean and shrink the pores, balances skin’s oil production, remove toxins, dirt and buildup from the hair and teeth and remove bacteria from the underarms, scalp and feet.
- Reduces Sweat and body odor- activated charcoal can be used in natural deodorants or as a deep armpit detox because it can help reduce excess sweat. Without the added moisture, it makes it harder for bacteria to grow, which is what gives us that stinky stench to begin with!
- Reduces Cholesterol- activated charcoal has been able to attach to cholesterol in the intestine and flush it out of the body so it doesn’t get absorbed in the bloodstream.
Activated Charcoal Detox Recipe
To Whiten Teeth:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Activated Charcoal
- 1 drop tea tree oil
- 1 drop peppermint oil
Detox Bath Recipe:
- 4 cups Epsom salt
- 3 capsules of activated charcoal
- 1-2 tbsp Almond Oil
- 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oils
- 1 fresh squeezed lemon
- 8 oz of cold water
- 1 capsule activated charcoal
- 3–5 drops stevia/coconut sugar/maple syrup
Activated Charcoal Side Effects
When drinking activated charcoal, it’s best not to drink it alongside any meals as it may flush out the good stuff (i.e. nutrients) with the harmful stuff. It can temporarily make the stool turn black, and in some cases it can cause diarrhea or vomiting. Overall, activated charcoal is considered to be a safe remedy when used correctly.
Now you get why PlayPits Detox Soap Bar is infused with activated charcoal? We’re confident it will help detoxify the skin as it gently exfoliates the surface layers of your underarms. It will remove toxins and bacteria from the armpits, leaving it feeling clean without needing any harsh chemicals. We just love the healing power of nature!